Friday 11 April 2014

KYOTO Pt. 2: Golden Pavillion, cheap shopping, and UNAGI

Oh man. I totally forgot to mention in the previous post that we also went to see the Golden Pavillion. It’s a very important and beautiful thing, so how it slipped my mind is beyond me. But because we were running on a tight schedule we could only bask in its beauty for about 10-minutes. Anyway, here it is. Boom.

The Golden Pavillion

Now moving swiftly on to shopping. Japan has a reputation for being ridiculously expensive, which it really can be, but like anywhere in the world – those who seek shall find discounts.

My counterparts decided to station themselves in Takashimaya, which is a department store not far from Gion. Unlike the Takashimaya in Singapore, this one is pretty unaffordable unless you are buying like just eyeliner or something. So being unemployed and all that I thought I’d have better chances going for a stroll down the road and I found this wonderful street:



There were several smaller local boutiques on that little shopping street that were selling items for less than 2000 Yen, which was amazing. BUT that was not cheap enough for me. My persistence paid off as 20-minutes later I came across this underground shop called “Don Don Down”. It’s as Japanese as can be. The clothes were beautifully wacky, and well instead of price tags, the clothes were attached to tags with a picture of a piece of fruit or vegetable on them… I’m not kidding.

Cheap awesome shop in Kyoto

Piecing together some very badly formed Japanese sentences, I managed to procure that sheet (below) from one of the sales assistants. I was looking at this really nice dress that had a watermelon on the price tag and 300 Yen seemed way too good to be true so I figured it must just mean that it’s 300 Yen off the original price right?! Anyway using some more poor Japanese at the counter (“wa ikura desuka?”), the cashier typed “310” into the calculator. Holy cow. 310 freaking Yen? I only had 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet the others to make our dinner reservation so I paid and swiftly made my way back to Takashimaya with my Prada-esque 300-Yen baby. **



Another big plus about this shopping street was that it also happened to be where our dinner reservations were. Recommended by my aunt’s renowned foodie friend we had reservations to eat at the best unagi place in town. For those unfamiliar with Japanese cuisine, or those who haven’t seen the ‘unagi’ episode with Ross from friends, it means eel. And yes, this restaurant just sells eel. So delicious.

Kaneyo restaurant

The English name for this place is Kaneyo restaurant. The portions are very generous as well, so I had difficulty getting through the medium rice bowl. Prices are not bad either, setting us back around 2000 Yen a person. You do have to make reservations in advance though because it’s a relatively small place popular with both locals and tourists.

Woop woop I'm slowly catching up with my posts. Next it's on to Miyajima island and Hiroshima!

No comments:

Post a Comment